5 Simple Ways to Thank a Veteran Today
1. Say Thank You – Just the simple act of saying “Thank you for your service” goes a long way with veterans. Throw in a handshake too, you’re bound to see a smile on their face, which will make it all worth it.
2. Volunteer – Do something for the veterans in your community. Seriously, what’s an hour of your time for the sacrifices they’ve made? Check out uso.org for ways that you can help. At the least, drop off an anonymous letter at your local VA thanking a veteran; it will get to the right person.
3. Donate – Make a small donation today to any of the fantastic organizations out there that help veterans each and every day. Some of our favorites here at ITS are Wounded Warrior Project and Disabled American Veterans.
4. Pay for Lunch – One of my fondest memories while serving was actually when a complete stranger came up to a group of three of my buddies and I and paid for our lunch. We were in our Dress Blues eating at a Friday’s in the airport on our way out to San Diego. He simply walked up said “We appreciate what you guys are doing (pointing to the table of three other men appearing to be traveling on business), this one’s on us.” Offer to pay for a veteran’s meal today.
5. Never Forget – One of the biggest things you can do, and I think all my veteran brothers will agree with me here, is to make the most out of the opportunity you’ve been given. Our freedoms have been paved with the sacrifices of our soldiers and they did so for all of us to enjoy this great country; let’s not forget that or take it for granted.